Most truckers and owner operators have to get a lot of basic permits and authorities first before they can start hauling loads. Getting a US DOT Number is one of the first steps required by law to operate a commercial truck.

Did you know getting all the paperwork to start your trucking company is easy and you will learn a lot about trucking when you work with the knowledgeable staff at Sky Transport Solutions.

Send us your Telephone Number and we will contact you and explain about US DOT Number processing and all our services.

Let Sky Transport Solutions provide you with assistance when you open your trucking company. Permits, Authority and Corporation Package. We have opened thousands of trucking companies throughout the years, and provide constant and consistent service to our truckers. From quarterly IFTA filings to DOT drug and alcohol testing. We are always here to answer all your trucking permit, authority and filing questions.

Let Sky Transport Solutions get all your trucking permits, saving you time and money.

Important information on starting a trucking company.

All Trucking Companies must be in compliance with all trucking-specific business licenses, permits, and forms.

There are two major levels of compliance that truckers have to be aware of, first, its at a federal level and second, its at a state level.

Truckers should be aware that in addition to the general federal and state requirements, there are taxes, licenses, and permit regulations that apply specifically to the trucking industry.

These additional requirements are mandated by the Internal Revenue Services (IRS), State Equalization Boards and various city or municipal agencies. Permit regulations that pertain to heavy or oversized loads are mandated by the state’s department of transportation (DOT).

Depending on the type of trucking business you plan to run, several important requirements may include:

  • Federal US DOT Number and Motor Carrier Authority Number. STS staff makes sure all  your requirements  met and then apply for these certifications via the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Authority (FMCSA) processing.
  • Heavy Use Tax Form (2290), Every trucker must comply with tax regulations related to the heavy use of U.S roads with the IRS Form 2290.
  • International Registration Plan (IRP) Tag, Understand your requirements and obtain IRP tags by asking STS staff about your state’s transportation and their IRP requirements.
  • International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) Decal. Understand your requirements and obtain IFTA decals from STS by working with your state’s transportation department.
  • BOC-3 Filing – Use a processing agent and the BOC-3 filing to secure and maintain active operating status.

In addition to these operational requirements, if you choose to employ private drivers, they’ll need to obtain special drivers permits or endorsements, such as a commercial driver’s license (CDL), to legally operate the commercial vehicles.

US DOT Number

The U.S. DOT number is used to check the company’s safety records and compliance with regulations. The US DOT Number is overseen by The US Department of Transportation. US DOT implements the law while the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Authority (FMCSA) makes the law. FMCSA monitors and ensures compliance with regulations governing both safety (all carriers) and commerce (for-hire carriers). Companies may find they are subject to both registration requirements (USDOT Number and MC Number) or either one, separately.

Did you know the DOT is responsible for buses and airplanes too. Almost all transportation related stuff is regulated by the DOT. Transportation is a very important part of our lives. Safety is of the most important aspects of transportation. Keeping everyone safe on the road, in the air and on water is important.

In order to get a US DOT Number just call us. Most beginner truckers don’t have time to get all the paperwork themselves. Don’t risk making mistakes when filing in paperwork. Did you know thousands of truckers rely on Sky Transport Solutions. We are always available for you. We provide quality, reliable service at the best price possible.

States that Require a USDOT Number

  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • Puerto Rico
  • South Carolina
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming

  • Type of Commercial Vehicle

    Commercial vehicle of any size that is used to transport hazardous materials (identified under the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act), and which requires the vehicle to be placarded in accordance with 49 CFR 177.823.

    Operate a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle is a:

  • Combination Vehicle (Group A)—having a GCWR or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a
    GVWR or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds), whichever is greater;
  • Heavy Straight Vehicle (Group B)—having a GVWR or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater;
  • Small Vehicle (Group C) that does not meet Group A or B requirements but that either— Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver;
  • Is of any size and is used to transport hazardous materials as defined in 49 CFR 383.
  • Operate a self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle:

  • Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross combination weight rating (GCWR), or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever
    is greater;
  • Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation;
  • Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation;
  • Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations
    prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter I, subchapter C (49 CFR Parts 171-177).